Social media


Dual mining ethereum and toncoin on RTX 3060Ti and RTX 3070Ti LHR

Author: LB 2022-02-09 971

With the latest lolMiner, ethereum miners can squeeze out almost 100% performance from their cards. Mining with LHR cards was profitable even in 2021, but with the advent of ton+eth dual mining, mining profitability has increased 20-30%. This turns a lot of attention to toncoin and other variants. The most interesting coins are the ones which don't collide with the ethash algorithm and ethereum mining hashrate stays almost the same even with dual mining. This time I was interested in how the dual mining hashrate changes with changing power limit.

Power limit (PL) is one of the most important parameters we can tune in order to increase the performance of a GPU. Intuitively, we would expect more hash performance with increased PL, but this is not necessarily true. Previously I benchmarked some Nvidia cards (How does power limit influence mining performance?) and found that PL has a maximum value for most cards. Further increasing the power consumption of the cards lead to more electricity consumption, however the ethash hashrate did not increase at all. Toncoin exhibits different peculiarities. Ethash said to be memory hard, which means the DAG has to be loaded into the memory and every iteration is calculated using several elements from the memory. These elements are chosen randomly, therefore the entire DAG file has to be kept in the memory of the GPU while the mining is ongoing. On the other hand the ethash algorithm doesn't put too much load onto the GPU core (at least that's what I suspect). Clearly, if we can increase the profitability of these cards, if we mix one core-heavy with one memory-heavy algorithm.



This method is extremely powerful if we have an LHR card. LHR intentionally decreases the ethash mining hashrate by limiting the GPU's performance once the board detects that an ongoing ethereum mining on the card. The deterioration is roughly 65%. The latest lolMiner implements toncoin mining (core-heavy) to mine TON along with ETH and utilize the remaining 35% of the performance. Just as I did previously, this time I'm going to measure the mining performance with respect to PL. I found these results extremely interesting, because the mining algorithm of TON and ETH behave differently with respect to the change in PL. Luckily I had one non LHR and one LHR card so I could uncover the differences in their behaviour. I'm using no other overclock tweaks, so the core and the memory clock are set at their default values.


First of all let's see the mining performance on a Geforce RTX 3070 Ti card for toncoin. At every point I let the latest lolMiner run for a few minutes and waited the hashrate to stabilize. I collected the last 20 outputs from the miner and calculated an average.


PL vs. hashrate on Geforce RTX 3070 Ti FE for toncoin

The toncoin mining hashrate seems to grow in a linear fashion with respect to PL. It drops significantly when PL is increased over 275W. This might be due to LHR, but I can't tell this with certainty. Now let's see the ethash performance with dual mining.


PL vs. hashrate on Geforce RTX 3070 Ti FE for ethereum

The 3070Ti FE LHR card produces almost as many hashes as a 3060Ti with no LHR. We can see a similar degradation in performance when PL is increased over 275W. For this card it's pointless to use a large PL value. Now let's move on to 3060Ti. This card has no LHR and I was curious to see how toncoin mining performance evolves with changing PL.


PL vs. hashrate on Geforce RTX 3060 Ti FE for toncoin

From the graph above we can deduce that toncoin loves PL. If you want to increase toncoin mining profitability and optimize your toncoin mining process then increase PL. Be careful, because the GPU can get very hot at large PL values. Pay special attention to the memory junction temperature, which unfortunately cannot be queried from Ubuntu, so I was unable to verify this value. Luckily, mining toncoin has no influence at all on the ethash mining rate. You can see that on the graph below.


PL vs. hashrate on Geforce RTX 3060 Ti FE for ethereum

The Geforce RTX 3060Ti mines ETH with 50MH/s with no OC tweaks. Increasing PL from 120W to 220W wastes electricity, but doesn't lead to more MH/s, it optimizes only the toncoin mining performance.


Interesting entries


15.02.2022

Best GPUs to mine ethereum in 2022

09.02.2022

Dual mining ethereum and toncoin on RTX 3060Ti and RTX 3070Ti LHR

23.01.2022

Profiling the RTX 3060 Ti and its memory transfer rate

22.01.2022

Core clock settings for RTX 3060 Ti when mining Ethereum

20.01.2022

Core clock settings for RTX 3070 Ti Founders Edition when mining ethereum